Sunday 30 September 2012

Czech conference 1

Travelled to the Czech Republic for the 6th International Adventure Therapy Conference, held in the spectacular setting of castle Hruba Scala in the 'Bohemian Paradise' or Rock City.

Interesting experiences on the way here. Trains late, people in 'quiet' carriages who don't get the concept of mobile phone use not being allowed. 'But it's my work phone and I'm clearly very important because I need to keep reminding my colleagues I'm on the train and they can ring me if there is something important that can't possibly wait or heaven forbid be done by them!'

Sorry, shouldn't rant, that's not what this blog is for, but it helps set the scene. Especially when the delayed trains were followed by 3 hour flight delay, arriving in Prague late at night, in the pouring rain.

So here is the mindful input. In my hotel room I realised I needed to relax so went for a short walk to relieve some physical aches before settling for a short meditation including being aware that all the problems had been shared by all travellers that day due to very bad weather and weren't aimed at me personally!

The next morning the sun was shining and after a run to get rid of cobwebs I went to the square by the opera house for breakfast and coffee. Here I was able to sit, be in the moment, appreciate the sun on my face, the smiles on people's faces, the antics of tour guides with colourful umbrellas, electric cycles, adults on push scooters going very fast through the crowds, the shouts of market traders and the gentle buzz of a city coming to life. A great reminder that being in the moment, engaging one's senses, being open to experiences is a great way to feel good, physically, mentally and emotionally.

And so on to the conference and the opportunity to meet old friends, make new ones, learn, share and be inspired, oh yes and be a little pensive as I'm presenting two papers and chairing part of the conference!



No comments: