Friday 20 July 2018

Healing Myself - Forest Therapy



We've all heard the phrase 'physician heal thyself' and for me that has been necessary in the last few months. After contracting pneumonia I didn't rest well enough to fully recover and consequently suffered from the viral infection Shingles and at the same time a bacterial infection in my eyes. Typically (and I'm sure this effects most of us) I still didn't rest fully, instead getting bored and frustrated, all adding to low mood, more symptoms and slower recovery.

Then someone asked what as a health professional I would advice my clients to do and that prompted a more relaxed, fulfilling and more mindful journey back to wellbeing. Using the Mindfulness in Nature and Shinrin Yoku (forest therapy) principles I teach to others, I planned to recover rather than rest. This plan did include long and sustained periods of rest and relaxation but now as a scheduled part of the process rather than the 'Bust' part of the Boom and Bust cycle many with an illness are familiar with, one minute getting on with life fully then the next being shattered from doing too much, too soon.

My activities included daily meditation (for slightly shorter sessions to be less of a 'must do this' activity) initially in the morning and then as a means of preparing to go to bed too. Daily walks, but as mindfulness practice rather than exercise (of course they can be both and as I recovered I could choose to be faster and still notice surroundings, thoughts and body though I find the slower 'Forest Therapy walk more fulfilling).

When with clients we often spend periods in silence and also in joint reflection, so some of my walks included a partner so we could share what we noticed and both have the benefit of time together and in silence. Being in a forest has great therapeutic benefit, there can be stillness and movement, new sights and sounds and I often find being under the green canopy of leaves with dappled sunlight breaking through is almost like a shower washing away depression, fatigue and other symptoms.

No comments: